Modalities in physical therapy can be very useful in increasing the efficiency when treating patients. Two of the most popular modalities in our physical therapy office are Ultrasound and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS). Both modalities are useful for relaxing muscles and relieving acute pain. When used together, they can create a powerful treatment option for a number of patient problems.
How Ultrasound and TENS units work
Using a hand held-wand, ultrasound emits sound waves that are able to penetrate 1-2 inches into the body’s soft tissues. As a result, heat is created at the injury site, circulation is improved, and healing of the tissue damage is facilitated. TENS works by applying two pads to the injured area on the body where the unit will emit an electric signal. The electric pulse is able to stimulate the release of the natural opioid pain-relieving system in the body.
Technological advances have allowed for the creation of combination ultrasound/TENS units. I’m constantly amazed at the improvements made in physical therapy modalities and the InTENSity CX4 Combination unit is no exception. I wanted to share my thoughts on the machine, because I know that time is precious in treatment session with patients and I believe that this unit is a great addition to a physical therapy clinic because of its features.
Benefits of the InTENSity CX4 Combination Unit
- Ease of Use: With its touch, color screen and pre-programmed settings for multiple treatment options, it takes only minutes to set up treatment parameters, making this unit easy and quick to use.
- Extensive Library and Settings: This unit comes with an extensive library of treatment protocols and the ability to save your favorite settings limiting the time needed for additional set-up for similar injuries.
- Ergonomic: Most treatment rooms have a limitation on space and storage. With its ergonomic design and storage drawers, this unit actually takes up less space and can store all ultrasound/TENS supplies.
- Warranty: Buying a new unit is a commitment. I appreciated that this unit comes with a three year warranty which took away the stress over buying a new unit and worrying about any possible upcoming repairs or maintenance.
- Multiple use options: Used together or separately, it’s efficient to have both ultrasound and TENS available in one unit. With 6 different electrotherapy waveform options and 4 independent channels of stimulation which can be linked or used individually; the multiple settings available also make this a wonderful tool.
The combination of Ultrasound & TENS can be used to treat a number of injuries or diagnosis in physical therapy. For example: the combination unit is good for treating: Fibromyalgia, Sciatica, Bursitis, Temporomandibular joint disorder or dysfunction (TMD) and problems associated with Diabetes.
Session minutes are precious in terms of treatment. It’s important to have the tools to increase efficiency and create maximum impact for healing. The InTENSity CX4 Combination helps maximize the effectiveness of physical therapy for our patients, helping them return to their daily lives that much faster and with less pain.
For more information about popular physical therapy products and advice see our blog at ProHealthcareProducts.com.