Treadmill, the Most Popular Cardiorespiratory Exercise Ever Invented
The treadmill is possibly the most popular cardio exercise machine ever invented, and probably because it is the most natural form of exercise there is – walking and jogging – one of which we all do every day. While each piece of exercise equipment will have its advantages and disadvantages, the treadmill has some important distinguishing benefits.
1. The ease of walking. Because we all walk, and because we often need controlled walking during rehabilitation of musculoskeletal injuries, this exercise machine is typically easier for all individuals when compared to other cardio machines. The flatness and uniformity of the treadmill walking surface eliminates the myriad obstacles a person may encounter outside.
2. Excellent exercise for those suffering with low back pain. Research has shown that walking is one of the most therapeutic activities a person can do to help heal from low back injury.
3. Versatility. Treadmills can be set to control speed and incline, both of which are key elements in intensity for cardiorespiratory stimulus. Some models come with built-in entertainment or physiological data recording information (such as heart rate) panels to add to the versatility.
4. Greater Caloric Burn. When compared to other forms of cardio exercise equipment, the treadmill generally burns more calories per equal intensity activity.
5. Bone building. The osteoblasts cells of bones are stimulated to secrete bony matrix when subjected to two mechanical stimuli:
Axial loading or a longitudinal force being transmitted up the leg bones and spinal column when the feet make contact with the surface during the heel strike phase of gait.
By a pulling force of contracting muscles pulling on the periosteum of the bones they pull against to produce movement.
Both of these stimuli are inherent in the act of walking and jogging.
6. Standard setup for multiple users. Some other cardio equipment must be adjusted with each new person who mounts the device for exercise. However, the treadmill pretty much a custom fit for anyone and you only need control the speed.
7. Other Activities. Because of the steadiness of walking (minimal head movement) a person can watch TV while exercising.
8. Great cardiorespiratory stimulus. Here as with other exercise machines, the treadmill is specifically designed to place a good stimulus on the heart, lungs, and working muscles to enhance their efficiency while creating adaptations of the body associated with protection from disease.
ProHealthcareProducts.com sells a variety of quality treadmills from manufactures like Spirit, SciFit, SportsArt, and TrueForm.