There are no products listed under this category.
Exercising in the Reclined Position with Recumbent Bikes
Recumbent bikes, as compared to upright stationary bikes, allow the rider to sit in a reclined position. This positioning offers several benefits that certain individuals find desirable compared to an upright stationary bike.
Benefits of Recumbent Cycle Riding
1. The larger, wider seat offers more comfort (less saddle soreness) to the buttocks than the narrow seat. If a person feels more comfortable when riding, they are more likely to engage in the exercise longer and therefore receive a greater cardio stimulatory effect.
2. The back area, especially the lumbar area, is supported in a recumbent bike. This too can lead to a more comfortable ride and the associated benefits.
3. Focuses a little bit more in working the hamstrings and dorsiflexor muscle groups than the upright cycles that target more the quads. Therefore, the use of both types in a rehabilitative program produces a better all-around stimulus.
4. The recumbent position has shown to produce less stress to the joints of the body as well as being associated with producing less upper body fatigue.
5. Provide added safety to select individuals who may be at a degree of risk from falling due to certain medical conditions.
6. Because how recumbent bikes are designed, the person’s lower extremity joints, especially the hip joints, typically move through a greater range of motion with the cycling motion compared to upright cycles, helping to develop greater range of motion for enhanced flexibility.
7. Because tension/resistance can be adjusted it allows the rider to adjust up for a greater cardio stimulus or down for less resistance. Either way, the rider will develop cardiorespiratory fitness and receive the benefits of enhanced health and reduced disease risk when engaged in consistently overtime.
8. Because tension/resistance can be adjusted it can also provide the rider with a solid resistance training stimulus and the many benefits of having a strong lower body.
9. Provide the rider with the ability to watch TV or read a book more easily because of the reclined position.
The recumbent bike, as with an upright bike, is a great exercise device to enhance your health and promote fitness.
ProHealthcareProducts.com carries top quality recumbent bikes for the clinic, at home, or the gym.